February 12, 2011

February 12, 2011
As our house burned, I could actually hear our memories

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Saturday is a day that will live in infamy in the life of the McKay family. Our house burned down. It's the most surreal thing I've ever had to come to terms with. It's still so hard to believe. It's unbelievable that I now live in a motel and couldn't cook if I wanted to. There are so many reasons to be thankful though.
  1. Everyone got out okay and no one was hurt.
  2. Leland was home and not traveling
  3. It was Saturday right in the middle of the day (Between 2-2:30)
At first I cried and cried and couldn't stop. I even had to have the paramedics help me with oxygen because I was hyperventilating. The next day less and the next day less. As I lay in agony on the floor while it was happening, I could hear my memories. I heard laughter of happy occasions like Christmas. I thought of all the pictures that were going up in smoke. I thought about the bedrooms that Leland and I decorated together and how much fun we had doing it.

Then, my friend and writing buddy Tahsha Ford came over with the rest of the writing gang. She got a phone call that will live in infamy in the Ford family. Her husband was killed in a para sailing accident. All of a sudden my blackened, charred house was nothing. Tahsha would rather be dealing with a burned house than loosing her husband. I ache for her. We went to the viewing tonight and couldn't believe the number of people there. The line went to forever. So many people who love the Ford family. It sure says a lot about them.

1 comment: